Sunday, June 2, 2013

Inspiration Avenue Challenge-Memorial Day

I chose Memorial Day for this week's challenge because the first day fell on Memorial Day.  I thought of the 7000 military personnel we've lost in the two wars we've been fighting for over a decade.  I considered all of the men and women who have served our country and died to protect it.  Then I thought about my cousin's son, who survived the war in Iraq but committed suicide after arriving home.  I never realized that more veterans kill themselves than die from combat.  There is an epidemic of suicides among American veterans.  It doesn't help the situation that there is a monstrous backlog of applications for veterans' disability claims. There are 600,000 pending claims and no solution to speeding up the process in the near future.

I hadn't planned on creating a collage filled with sorrow, but I couldn't forget that every soldier who lays down his or her life for our country is someone's son, father, nephew, cousin, niece, daughter, mother, uncle...well, you get the picture.  I believe they all deserve recognition for their sacrifice.
Credits for image components: Marisa Lerin-Pixel Scrapper (Navy Kit), Pewter7, Far Far Hill, and Land of Nod Studios. 
Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by. I really appreciate your comments. If you like my work, please sign up to follow me.